Event 3- Graduate Art Center

For Event 3, I visited the graduate student center in Culver City. This was an interesting experience as I was able to see so many different types of art. I was most fascinated by the glass andceramic works by Maccabee Shelley and Alex Anderson.
(List of Artists)
One sculpture by Mr. Shelley is a picture of a melted computer part in glass. It was interesting as Mr. Shelley explained that in such high temperatures, only some metal can be solid, the others melt and this creates a certain color depending on the material. I had thought his work was painted, but the colors were from the melted metal from the small computer part. We also briefly talked about the difference between glass and ceramic works. This takes an understanding of science because one needs to know the temperature certain metals melt art and the colors they produce. Ceramic art is created by forming the object through clay or some other form of paste (difference between). However, once it is heated, it is extremely rigid and cannot be changed. What Mr. Shelley does is that he places a wooden stick in his art work, that way he can move his works around. It is easy to change the shape of the stick to fit the object. While glass is a type of ceramic art, it is used with different materials and is more rigid (difference between). Mr. Shelley also mentioned how he uses the famous Glass artist Dale Chihuly as inspiration.
(Selfie with Maccabee Shelley)
           Another artist I spent a while talking to was Alex Anderson. Mr. Anderson works with ceramics, and uses a black liquid ceramic. This makes his work look like it has been spray painted black. He mentioned that it comes out that way due the way the ceramic is oxidized. It was interesting to see how his ceramics looks much different than any other I had seen.
(Ceramic by Alex Anderson)

    I remember taking a ceramics class when I was much younger. It was a lot of fun, but sometimes it was frustrating when I was not able to make the art in a way I wanted too. So, knowing how hard it was to make something simple when I was younger, I can appreciate Mr. Anderson’s and Mr. Shelley’s artwork much more. Mr. Anderson, mentioned that one of his art pieces took 70 hours to make! It was also interesting to understand the different types of ceramics, how metals can affect the color, and the difference between glass and ceramics. I think that this is something I will be interested in getting a better understanding of and doing my final paper on. These are all really interesting topics that I did not really know there was much knowledge of science needed in art.
To see more of their work go to:

(Selfie at the event)
Sources
"Difference Between Glass and Ceramics." Difference between, 17 Sept. 2011. Web. 4 June
2017.
Selfie with Maccabee Shelley. Photograph. My camera
List of Graduate Students. Photograph. My Camera
Art from Alex Anderson. Photograph. My Camera
Selfie at Event. Photograph. My Camera

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art, Technology, and the Medical Field

Blogpost 8- Space and Art

Blogpost 5- BioTech and Art