Event 2: What is Next for Plant Earth

(Lecture Hall)
    I recently attended a lecture hosted by Linda Weintraub called “What’s next for Planet Earth” and there were UCLA professors giving short presentations. Since I was seeing this talk for a bit between classes, I was only able to see Dr. Charles Taylor give a presentation on birdsongs. In an article by the Daily Bruin, “ [Taylor] hopes to identify what birds are trying to communicate when they sing. ‘If we understand what birds are saying, then we have a window into their mind’” (Somani). I found this to be interesting as Dr. Taylor wants to understand the reasoning behind birdsongs.

(Dr. Taylor's Powerpoint)
     In his lecture we saw videos of Dr. Taylor and some of his students recording and playing birdsongs to see what would happen. Interestingly, we heard birds chirp back or fly somewhere. He later played a little bit from some music he made which incorporated the songs from multiple birds.
Before attending this presentation, I knew that birds had songs, but I thought it was usually only for mating and never really bothered to know why. I also did not take the time to understand that there are multiple types of bird calls or phrases similar to how humans speak. I also did not now that people map these songs in order to understand why each bird sings differently and what do their songs mean. 
      However, while attending the presentation, it opened up my eyes a bit. I know realize that birds have distinct calls to use at certain times: mating, warning, mimicking, etc. We saw this video of a bird in Australia that can mimic any sound it hears. Whether it is other birds, or sounds made by humans (camera clicking), this bird can imitate it well. I found that to be fascinating how it knows how to mimic these sounds after hearing it just once. Made me also think of how parrots and mynah birds can mimic speech and be able to talk. 

(Survey from the Event)
    I have some final thoughts after the presentation. This makes me appreciate nature a lot more and maybe go to some park back home in the bay area just to listen to the animals chirping around me. I feel that I can use something similar in my final project. Maybe I can incorporate animal calls or signals and their importance. 

(Selfie at event, can see the reflection of the Powerpoint on the glass)


Sources
My Picture. Dr. Taylor’s Presentation. Photograph.
My Picture. Lecture Hall. Photograph.
My Picture. Selfie at Event. Photograph.
My Picture. Survey Handed Out. Photograph.
Somani, Nikki. "UCLA Professor Researches Birdsongs in Mexico, Australia." Daily Bruin. N.p.,
6 Nov. 2013. Web. 13 May 2017.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art, Technology, and the Medical Field

Blogpost 8- Space and Art

Blogpost 5- BioTech and Art